Philosophy of Teaching Statement
Teaching is a transitive verb with multiple participants, where participation is necessary in all objects for the action to be complete. Who is doing the teaching, what is being taught, and who is being taught are intricately woven integral elements. The harmony of these factors is what I will thrive for as an inspirational teacher of English in a nourishing classroom environment.
First and foremost, I believe that for knowledge to be taught by an individual who is knowledgeable then the structure of lesson must compliment the aims and enthusiasms of the learners. Each group of learners are unique from one another, regardless of maturity or motivation, if such variables are the same among two groups, then the groups are still distinctive from themselves. Furthermore, individual learners within their communal enclaves are idiosyncratic. What every learner brings with them is their own unique observation and understanding to the class, and this differs from learner to learner, classroom, or school district. Because of these distinctions, I believe that a classroom lesson plan should then reflect the students’ own knowledge and experience and what they want to achieve. By knowing my students and them knowing me, we will reach a synergy where our mutual learning goals will be reachable.
I know that it was William Arthur Ward, American educator, writer, and laureate, who said “The mediocre teacher tells. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires,” and those words are what I think it means to be a professional teacher. What is being taught and the success of learner acquisition is dependent on credibility and expertise of the individual who is teaching. As a teacher, inspirational leader, and motivational speaker, because a individual must be all three occupations to be a great teacher, I will constantly improve and update both my credibility and expertise in my profession of study. I will never stop learning because education is the pursuit of knowledge not its acquisition. As my students will learn from me, I will learn from my students. This is the main reason for my ambitions as a teacher, it is why I chose education as a profession. I love learning, it’s the best part of me as an individual. I want to instill that same passion into the persons that I will teach, despite my field of emphasis as an English teacher. All teachers should inspire learning, not just promote it.
In regards to my field, I will inspire students with my knowledge of English to teach them life-long skills in written composition as well as a respect and affinity for Literature (classic, modern, American, British, etcetera). This will give them a sampling of all aspects of our didactic language, if not inspiring them to further pursue English in their education, if only to give them a broader and more in depthful understanding of English as a pivotal subject in the makeup of our community.
These are not only my aims or philosophies as a professional teacher of English, these are my mantras, my doctrines, my text. A text can rally whole peoples around a belief, I hope that my text rallies you to believe in me.
No comments:
Post a Comment